What is the “Romans Road” to Salvation?
The Romans Road to Salvation is a way of explaining the Good News (the Gospel) of Salvation using verses from the Book of Romans. It is a simple and powerful method of explaining why we need Salvation, how God provided Salvation, how we can receive Salvation, and what are the results of Salvation.
1) The first verse on the Romans Road to Salvation is Romans 3:23, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” We have all sinned. We have all done things that are displeasing to God. There is no one who is innocent. Romans 3:10-18 gives a detailed picture of what sin looks like in our lives.
2) The second Scripture on the Romans Road to Salvation, Romans 6:23, teaches us about the consequences of sin — “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” The punishment that we have earned for our sins is death. Not just physical death, but eternal death!
3) The third verse on the Romans Road to Salvation picks up where Romans 6:23 left off, “but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Romans 5:8 declares, “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Jesus’ death paid for the price of our sins. Jesus’ resurrection proves that God accepted Jesus’ death as the payment for our sins (past, present and future sins).
4) The fourth stop on the Romans Road to Salvation is Romans 10:9, “that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” Because of Jesus’ death on our behalf, all we have to do is believe in Him. Trust in Christ’s death as the payment for our sins and be saved! Romans 10:13 says it again, “for everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins and rescue us from eternal death. Salvation, the forgiveness of sins, is available to anyone who will trust in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
5) The final aspect of the Romans Road to Salvation is the result of Salvation. Romans 5:1 has this wonderful message, “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” Through Jesus Christ we can have a relationship of peace with God. Romans 8:1 teaches us, “Therefore, there is now no condemnation (for past, present and future sins) for those who are in Christ Jesus.” <No, that is not an excuse for sin – see Romans 6:1-2.> Because of Jesus’ death on our behalf, we will never be condemned for our sins and never means never!
Finally, we have this precious promise of God from Romans 8:38-39, “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor ‘anything else’ in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” <And ‘anything else’ includes you!!>
Would you like to follow the Romans Road to Salvation? If so, here is a simple prayer you can pray to God. Saying this prayer is a way to declare to God that you are relying on Jesus Christ for your Salvation. Romans 10:10 “For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto Salvation.” <Belief is all that is required. Salvation is never obtained by works.>
“Father God, I know that I have sinned against you and I am deserving of eternal punishment; but Jesus Christ took the condemnation that I deserve! So through faith in Him I am forgiven. With Your Holy Spirit’s assistance, I place my trust in You for Salvation. Thank You for Your wonderful grace and forgiveness now — the gift of eternal life! Amen!”
Have you made a decision for Christ because of what you have learned through the Romans Road to Salvation? That means from this moment on you have eternal life in your “born-again” spirit — the part of you that lives forever! (John 3:16-17) Find a Bible believing church in your local community that believes that you can not lose your Salvation. The Grace Evangelical Society (www.faithalone.org) on the Internet has a list of great churches! Find some of your new forever friends!! Enjoy studying the Bible — Gods’ personal love letter to you!!